Sunday 29 March 2009

Pussy Cats Washing Dishes?


I took some of the mirrored garlands I have been making outside today. As they caught the light and spun in the breeze they threw discs of light onto every surface. My Nana told me that as a child she used to call this reflective effect 'pussy cat washing dishes'! There certainly was something a bit magical about it.

I have increasingly become fascinated by the idea of festival garlands and the things that people string up to signify a celebration. French artist Sophie Cuvelier makes bunting- but uses it to create wonderful, joyful installations. It reminded me of my long held love of Tibetan prayer flags.

For the Bollington festival in May I want to create some kind of canopy from the bottle garlands- like a maypole or the canopies of flowers you see at religious festivals. I want people to be able to walk underneath and see sunlight streaming through the kaleidoscopic colours.

No comments: